Live: Chinese Premier delivers govt. work report at 12th NPC Session
China.org.cn presents you a live coverage of the opening ceremony of the First Session of China’s 12th National People’s Congress (NPC) at 9:00 am on March 5, 2013. Chinese Premier Wen Jiabao gives a speech on the work of the Central Government in 2012 at the meeting at the Great Hall of the People in Beijing.
Stay tuned with China.org.cn for our live updates on this event.
Are you interested in China’s top legislature (NPC)? Tell us about it in the forum discussion.
No need to reload page,content updates automatically every two minutes. All time is Beijing Time (GMT+0800).
[10:50] That’s it for the live blog. Thanks for following along with us.
[10:49] @ John Ross
China opens innumerable doors. Accurately analyzing and predicting China’s economic development has earned me a living, and opened innumerable doors, for more than twenty years. It also gave the satisfaction of seeing individual interest and skills linked to the world’s biggest story – the growth of China’s economy and China’s ‘national revival’. To see history made, to take advantage of the openings created in countless fields, to be able to combine that with a culture and good food is irresistible. My China dream.
[10:46] The Chinese government on Tuesday announced ambitious plans to develop projects in transport and energy sectors as part of efforts to accelerate the country’s industrial transformation and upgrading.
[10:37] China will strive to increase its total foreign trade volume by around 8 percent amid slow recovery in the world economy and rising trade protectionism, and work to improve its balance of payments,
[10:28] China plans to raise its defense budget by 10.7 percent to 720.2 billion yuan (114.3 billion U.S. dollars) in 2013, according to a budget report to be reviewed by the national legislature.
[10:26] According to the report, Wen will suggest that his succeeding government promptly improve policies for regulating the real estate market and strengthen mechanisms for sustaining its steady and sound development.
[10:12] Wen said,
Under the leadership of the Communist Party of China (CPC) Central Committee with Comrade Xi Jinping as General Secretary, let us unite as one and work hard to finish building a moderately prosperous society in all respects and achieve the great rejuvenation of the Chinese nation.
[09:57] NPC deputies will elect new president and vice president, decide on a new premier, vice premiers and cabinet, as well as approve a government institutional reform plan.
[09:55] Nearly 3,000 NPC deputies from across the country attended the opening meeting along with top Party and state leaders Hu Jintao, Xi Jinping, Wu Bangguo, Wen Jiabao, Jia Qinglin, Li Keqiang, Yu Zhengsheng, Liu Yunshan, Wang Qishan and Zhang Gaoli.
[09:38] It was the last time that Wen delivered the government work report as the premier.
[09:05] Premier Wen Jiabao is delivering his last government work report to almost 3,000 legislators in the Great Hall of the People.
[09:00] The 12th National People’s Congress (NPC),China’s top legislature annual session opens.
[08:47] WHAT TO DO THIS YEAR
- — This year, basic pensions for enterprise retirees should be raised by 10 percent, and subsistence allowances for urban and rural residents and subsidies for entitled groups should also be further raised.
- — The country will conduct a pilot project to insure against childhood leukemia and 19 other serious diseases.
- — This year, annual government subsidies for the new rural cooperative medical care system and basic medical insurance for non-working urban residents should be raised from 240 yuan to 280 yuan per person respectively.
- — The per person payment standard for basic public health services should be increased from 25 yuan to 30 yuan.
- — This year the country will complete 4.7 million government-subsidized urban housing units, start construction of another 6.3 million units and continue to renew dilapidated rural houses.
[08:44] PROGRESS IN PAST FIVE YEARS
- — China’s GDP increased from 26.6 trillion yuan to 51.9 trillion yuan, now the world’ s second most, by an average annual growth of 9.3 percent.
- — Government revenue went up from 5.1 trillion yuan to 11.7 trillion yuan.
- — The per capita disposable income of urban residents rose by 8.8 percent annually, and the per capita net income of rural residents rose by 9.9 percent.
- — Energy consumption per unit of GDP fell by 17.2 percent.
- — Total chemical oxygen demand, a key index for water quality, fell by 15.7 percent.
- — Total sulfur dioxide emissions fell by 17.5 percent.
- — The government spending on education totaled 7.79 trillion yuan over the past five years and increased annually by 21.58 percent to reach 4 percent of GDP in 2012.
- — The basic old-age insurance system now covers both urban and rural residents, with a total of 790 million people joining various old-age insurance schemes.
- — A basic medical insurance system that covers the whole population is taking shape, and over 1.3 billion people are now covered by different medical insurance schemes.
- — The average life expectancy reached 75 years.
[08:43] FISCAL AND MONETARY POLICIES FOR 2013
- — China will continue to implement a proactive fiscal policy. The government will give priority to education, medical and health care, social security and other weak areas that are important to people’s wellbeing.
- — China will continue to implement a prudent monetary policy. The target for growth of the broad money supply (M2) is about 13 percent.
[08:35] Highlights: Premier Wen’s government work report
MAJOR TARGETS FOR 2013
- — Gross domestic product (GDP) grows about 7.5 percent.
- — Consumer Price Index (CPI) increase will be kept around 3.5 percent.
- — A deficit of 1.2 trillion yuan (190.48 billion U.S. dollars) is projected, 400 billion more than the budgeted figure last year and accounting for 2 percent of GDP.
- — Add more than 9 million urban jobs.
- — Keep the registered urban unemployment rate at or below 4.6 percent.
- — The government will work to ensure that real per capita income for urban and rural residents increases in step with economic growth.
[08:32] According to a government work report to be delivered by Premier Wen Jiabao at the parliament’s annual session,
China will continue a “proactive fiscal policy” and a “prudent monetary policy” in 2013 to expand the economy by 7.5 percent and keep the consumer price index increase at around 3.5 percent
[07:40] Premier Wen Jiabao will deliver his last government work report to almost 3,000 legislators in the Great Hall of the People.
[07:37] The annual session of China’s top legislature, or the National People’s Congress, is scheduled to open at 9 a.m.
[17:17] China reaffirmed that it will not copy other countries’ models in its drive for political reform. Fu Ying, the spokesperson for the first session of the 12th National People’s Congress, said,
It is unfair and inaccurate to say China will go nowhere if it does not copy other countries’ models.
[16:12] Social security, anti-corruption, and income distribution are the top three concerns with people,as an online survey conducted by China.org.cn and Sohu.com recently revealed.
I dream the equality of opportunities to the young in China. The equality means all young people can fairly compete based upon rule-of-law no matter they are from rich or poor.
I hope opportunities will be accessible to everyone. Flattery to bosses won’t be a way to success. Government leaders won’t have too many privileges over normal citizens. A company will not refuse a job seeker only because he/she is not a registered residence.
[15:48] China.org.cn has collected the hopes and wishes of our users for the 2013 NPC and CPPCC Sessions. Here are some of them.
[15:38] Fu Ying denied speculation that the central government is “tightening up” control over Hong Kong. She said,
China’s central government sticks to the principle of “one country, two systems.”Policies under the “one country, two systems” principle are highly stable and will be implemented as they have always been.
[15:06] Fu said at the press conference, China’s defensive military policies have played a core role in maintaining peace and stability in Asia.
[14:58] A frugal and environment-friendly session is a key feature at China’s 12th National People’s Congress. Fu Ying said,
We have strictly controlled the expenditure on this year’s session. We have also decorated the conference venues in a simple and environment-friendly way instead of using extravagant decoration materials. We also urged NPC deputies to make to-the-point speeches.
[14.50] The 12th National People’s Congress (NPC) has given 31 seats to migrant workers, a drastic rise from three in the 11th NPC.
[14:08] Zhang Dejiang and five other deputies were elected executive chairpersons of the presidium for the annual session of China’s national legislature Monday.
[14:07]The preparatory meeting of the first session of the 12th National People’s Congress elected the presidium earlier Monday.
[13:58] According to the agenda,
- Deputies will elect the chairman and vice chairpersons of the 12th NPC Standing Committee, as well as the country’s president and vice president.
- They will also decide on the premier, vice premiers, state councilors and government ministers.
- Deputies will elect the chairman of the Central Military Commission of the People’s Republic of China and heads of the Supreme People’s Court and the Supreme People’s Procuratorate.
- They will hear and deliberate the government work report and examine the report on the national economic and social development plan and the central and local budgets.
- They will also hear and deliberate the work reports of the NPC Standing Committee, the Supreme People’s Court and the Supreme People’s Procuratorate.
- The plan on institutional restructuring and function transformation of the State Council will also be tabled for deliberation at the session.
[13:56] A total of 2,987 deputies to the 12th NPC were elected earlier this year.
[13:49] The session is scheduled to last 12-and-a-half days.
[13:47] Premier Wen Jiabao will deliver a report on the work of the government at the opening meeting.
[13:44] According to Fu, the 12th National People’s Congress (NPC), the top legislature of China, will start its first session at the Great Hall of the People in Beijing at 9:00 a.m on March 5.
[13:42] Belonging to the Mongolian ethnic group, Fu serves as the vice foreign minister and is the first female spokesperson of NPC.
[13:41] Fu Ying, the spokesperson for the session, introduced the agenda of the session and answered questions from journalists.
[13:40] The First Session of the 12th National People’s Congress (NPC) held a press conference at 11:00 a.m on March 4 in the Great Hall of the People in Beijing.